Beauty is in simple things. You often heard that. And things that keep us healthy and beautiful are all around us, we just have to look. One of the amazing, simple and cheap things that we can use in multiple ways with many benefits is the cu- cumber. Yes, good old “timun” as Indone- sians call it. Maybe it didn’t receive as much press and popularity as some other fruit (oh yes, cucumber belongs to the family of fruits) but this widely cultivated fellow provides us with a unique combination of nutrients.
The humble cucumber may seem like a simple water-rich vegetable with little nutrients. But actually, studies show that fresh cucumber extracts contain many potent an- tioxidants and anti-inflammatory nutrients! This makes them a great kitchen ingredient for a smooth and supple face! This refreshing cooling vegetable contains 96 percent water and provides important benefits for skin in- cluding lightening, brightening, hydrating and toning. So let’s check all the things cu- cumber has to offer!
- Keeps you hydrated. If you are too busy to drink enough water, munch on the cool cu- cumber, which is 96 percent water.
- Fights heat, both inside and out. Eat cu- cumber, and your body gets relief from heart- burn. Apply cucumber on your skin, and you get relief from sunburn and itchy skin. Good to know in Bali temperatures!
- Flushes out toxins. All that water in cucum- ber acts as a virtual broom, sweeping waste products out of your system. With regular use, cucumber is known to dissolve kidney stones.
- Nourishes you with vitamins A, B and C, which boost immunity, give you energy and keep you radiant. Give it more power by juicing cucumber with carrot and spinach.
- Supplies skin-friendly minerals: magne- sium, potassium, silicon. That is why cucum- ber-based treatments are popular in spas.
- Revives the eyes. Placing chilled slices of cucumber on the eyes is a clichéd beauty visual, but it really helps reduce under-eye bags and puffiness.
- Stabilises blood pressure. Patients that struggle with blood pressure, both high and low, often find that eating cucumber brings relief.
- Refreshes the mouth. Cucumber juice refreshes and heals diseased gums, leaving your mouth smelling good.
- Smooths hair and nails. Silica, the wonder mineral in cucumber makes your hair and nails stronger and shinier.
- Soothes muscle and joint pain. All those vitamins and minerals in cucumber make it a powerful enemy of muscle and joint pain.■